Monday, September 17, 2007

It's gotta be the genes

The older I get the more I realize that I inherited the "must worry compulsively" gene from my mom. It's a really well established gene on her side of the family. It's the reason we marry men who roll their eyes and say things like, "it will be fine."

The reason for this latest bout of worry is Ryker. He had his ear checkup and hearing test with the ENT on Friday and it didn't go as we had hoped.
  1. He needs a new set of ear-tubes.
  2. He's got a bunch of fluid behind his eardrums that are muffling sound. (Which explains why he always sounds like he's mumbling). He can't hear whispers at all.
  3. Since this is his second set of tubes (and he had a ton of infections with the first set), he has to have his adnoids out and stay in the hospital overnight.

So needless to say, I'm not particularly happy with any of that. We can't let it slide, he needs the surgery so I have to suck it up. Jason, of course, is fine. He spent the weekend telling me to stop looking at Ryker like "that." "That" is apparently some sort of sad, worried look.

I'm not worried about the tube part. I know that part will be fine. I'm not really that worried about the other surgery either. I'm worried about the overnight in the hospital and not being able to eat the stuff he likes to eat for close to two weeks. Xander would be fine. He could eat yogurt and applesauce all day. Not so my Ryker. He wants food.

By next week Thursday, I'm going to be a wreck. Ah, the joys of motherhood. Keep us in your thoughts. Thanks.

4 comments:

KarenE said...

Hang in there! It's all good. He'll be fine, and more importantly, YOU'LL be fine. :)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know your brother has that same gene. Where i would say wait it out, he says lets go see a doctor.

Ryker will do great, i know it.

Ane said...

Thanks for the support.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'd be scared too! But I know he'll be fine. Have you checked out the Peds unit at your hospital? They should have a setup that allows you to stay with him overnight.

And blenders are wonderful things...

:^) H